In a land area of 12,950 square kilometers, the diocesan territory covers civil districts of Palamau, Garhwa and Latehar in Jharkhand state.
The district headquarter of Daltonganj has taken the name from Colonel Dalton who was the commissioner of Chotanagpur in 1861. The main towns are: Barwadih, Chandwa, Deorikalan, Hussainabad, Latehar and Netarhat. Daltonganj is famous for its wildlife sanctuary. World's first tiger census was conducted in the Palamau forests in 1932.
The 2,459,950 people in the diocesan area belong mainly to the ethnic groups of Munda, and Oraons, besides Muslims and Hindus.
Languages used in the diocesan territory are Hindi, Mundari, Oraon, Sadri and other tribal languages.
The diocese of Daltonganj was part of Ranchi archdiocese. It was constituted as a separate diocese in 1971 and Father George V. Sauipn, SJ, was selected as the first bishop. For the better pastoral care of the faithful, the diocese of Hazaribagh was established with the territory taken from the Daltonganj diocese on May 12, 1995.
National Highway 75 passes through Daltonganj diocese.
The annual per capita income in the diocesan territory is Rs.23 361 ($518) as of December 2010.
Major industries are coal mines and bauxite.
Agricultural products are: maize, wheat and oil seeds.
The diocese is served by TV and radio stations.
People use mobile phones and landlines.
Literacy rate is 51 percent in the diocesan area.
Jharkhand has ebullient festivals like Sarhul, Sohrai, Karma, Christmas, Eid, Holi and Dushahra. Folk music and dances are part and parcel of the tribal culture.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.