Diocese of Chanda, the first Syro-Malabar diocese in North India, was established as part of a Latin-rite province even before the Second Vatican Council.
The total population is 4,390,936 as of 2016.
The main languages used are: Marathi, Hindi, Telugu and the tribal dialects of Oraon and Madia.
Chandrapur means "City of the Moon (Chandra)." During the British rule in India, Chandrapur came to be known as Chanda, but in 1964 its name was officially changed back to Chandrapur. In Chandrapur district, Christians numbered 266 in 1901, of whom 48 were Europeans, 14 Eurasians and 204 local people.
The Carmelites of Mary Immaculate (CMI) priests from Kerala started working in the diocese of Ambikapur-Raigarh at the request of Jesuit Bishop Sevrin from 1954, but they were not permitted to practice their the Oriental rite publicly. There was a proposal in 1959 to divide the diocese and place the CMI priests in charge of Raigarh, where they would be able to exercise their rite freely, but this proposal did not materialize.
In 1960, CMI Prior-General Father Maurus sent a letter to Archbishop Eugene D'Souza of Nagpur requesting that a section of the archdiocese be entrusted to the congregation. Archbishop Eugene wrote to the Apostolic Internuncio, J. R. Knox, and the Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith about the proposal. Both the Vatican congregations concerned and the Carmelites accepted the principle of territorial jurisdiction.
Pope John XXIII erected the ordinariate of Chanda on March 31, 1962, separating its territory — Wardha and Chanda districts in Maharashtra and Adilabad in Andhra Pradesh — from the archdiocese of Nagpur and entrusting it to the pastoral care of the CMI priests. Monsignor Januarius Palathuruthy, CMI, was appointed its first ecclesiastical superior with duties, privileges and faculties of an apostolic exarch on June 12 that year. At a ceremony held at the archbishop's chapel on Aug. 15, 1962, the new ecclesiastical unit of Chanda was formally and canonically erected, and Monsignor Januarius installed as its first superior.
The ordinariate was raised to the status of an apostolic exarchate on July 29, 1968. On Feb. 26, 1977, Pope Paul VI established Chanda as a diocese and Monsignor Januarius was appointed its first bishop. His episcopal ordination followed three months later on May 3. Adilabad was made a separate diocese in June 1999.
Most areas can be reached by railway or public transport services.
Paper mills, coalfields, cement factories, steel plants and bamboo products are available in the region. The main agricultural produce are jowar cereal, rice, wheat, sugarcane, oil seeds and cotton.
Telecommunication services are widespread. No TV or radio stations broadcast from within the diocesan territory.
The diocese covers 32,233 square kilometers comprising the civil districts of Wardha, Chandrapur and Gadchiroli in Maharashtra state.
Literacy rate is 51 percent.
Tribal dance and other folk arts and dances of Maharashtra are popular.
On every first Friday of the month thousands of Catholics flock to Holy Cross Church of Cherpunkal in Kerala, India to revere Infant Jesus and St. Thomas, the founder of the church. The church stands on the southern bank of Meenachil River. This fabled church, also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross)Church, belongs to Catholic Diocese of Palai of the Eastern-rite Syro-Malabar Church.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.