The diocese covers 51,289 square kilometers, comprising the Orissa state districts of Gajapati, Ganjam, Rayagada, Koratpur, Nawarangpur, Kalahandi, Nuapada and Malkangiri.
Berhampur, Rayagada, Bhanjanagar are the biggest towns in the diocese.
8,999,654 total population
Oriya, Pana, Kuie and Sauraare are the main languages used in the diocesan territory.
The seed of Catholicism in this region of Orissa can be traced back to the 17th century, when it was under the care of what is now Madras-Mylapore Archdiocese. By 1845, this region of Orissa was under the diocese of Visakhapatnam. In the course of time, the Missionaries of St Francis de Sales (MSFS) evangelized in the hilly region of Ganjam and Phulbani and the coastal belt of Berhampur and Cuttack.
After World War I, the MSFS Fathers handed over the Cuttack Mission to a group of four Spanish Vincentian (Congregation of the Mission) Fathers in 1923. Later, many other Spanish missionaries joined the mission, which progressed in leaps and bounds. The Mission of Cuttack was declared Missio Sui Juris by Pope Pius XI on July 18, 1928, and Father Valerian Guemes was appointed its Administrator and Ecclesiastical Superior.
In 1937, Cuttack Mission was raised to the status of a diocese, and in 1938 Msgr. Florence Sanz Esperanza, CM was appointed the first Bishop of Cuttack. In 1948, he retired and Bishop Paul Tobar Gonzalves, CM succeeded him. On April 18, 1971, Bishop Tobar died and Father Vincent Urbaneja, CM was elected Administrator of the diocese.
On Jan. 24, 1974, Cuttack was divided into Metropolitan See of Cuttack-Bhubaneswar and the diocese of Berhampur. Father Thomas Thiruthalil, CM was appointed the first Bishop of Berhampur and consecrated on May 5, 1974.
Bishop Thomas led the diocese for 16 years. With the help of many dedicated diocesan and Vincentian Fathers, he built upon the foundation laid by the MSFS and Spanish Vincentians. The diocese grew and progressed in a steady manner. On Jan. 13, 1990, Bishop Thiruthalil was transferred to the newly elevated diocese of Balasore and Father Joseph Das was elected the Diocesan Administrator shortly thereafter. The diocese waited and prayed for three long years to get its second bishop. Msgr. Joseph Das was ordained bishop on July 7, 1993. Bishop Das, a "son of the soil," knew the diocese inside out and served it for a long time. He was instrumental in changing the face of Berhampur Diocese. After a long illness, he died on Aug. 7, 2008, the year after he handed the diocese over to his successor, Bishop Nayak.
The diocese of Berhampur has grown from a small seed to a big plant with close to 120,000 Catholics, 78 diocesan priests and numerous Religious and seminarians.
Cities are managed by corporations. Villages and small towns are administered by panchayat and municipalities, respectively. These local bodies are elected.
The diocesan area is well connected in terms of transportation infrastructure by roads and railways. The nearest airport is in Bhubaneshwar city.
Per capita income is 20,249 rupees (US$453 as of March 2011). Farming is the primary occupation. Rice is widely grown in the area, which is also rich in minerals.
Government and private operators provide extensive telecommunication facilities in the diocesan area. The diocese is well covered by local cable TV networks.
63 percent literacy rate
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.