The 25,918-square kilometer diocese covers the civil districts of Bhadrak, Balasore, Mayurbhanj and Keonjhar in eastern Orissa state. The territory of Balasore diocese was under the archdiocese of Calcutta until 1968.
As of 2015, the total population is 9,145,650.
Oriya, Hindi, Santhali, Ho, Bhumijo, Oraon, and Bengali are the main languages spoken in the diocesan territory.
The origin of Christianity in this part of northeastern Orissa can be traced to a 1514 Portuguese settlement in Pippilli. However, Balasore got a resident priest, Jesuit Father Sapport, only in 1865. He built a church (Lal Girja) in Balasore and started a foundling home, which the Daughters of the Cross later looked after. Father Sapport is considered the pioneer missionary in the area. In 1915, the Daughters of St Joseph of Chembery arrived and opened a convent and a school, which was functioning until 1938, in Balasore. Records show that many priests, including Jesuit Fathers Schaff, Gengler, A. Ville and Vritoff, were working in Balasore during the period 1880-1937.
The Maltese Dominicans took charge on Nov. 1, 1938, under the leadership of Father Gavriel. However, the Dominicans stayed only a short time and left on Jan. 1, 1941. During this time, however, an earthquake severely damaged the Lal Girja of Balasore, and the church was dismantled in 1940 on the written order of Jesuit Archbishop Ferdinand Perrier of Calcutta.
From 1941 until 1948, Balasore had to be content with visiting priests from Kharagpur. In 1948, Jesuit Father Joseph Visiak was appointed resident priest of Balasore, but he resided and established a church at Krishnachandrapur, because of the larger Christian community there. Diocesan priests from Cuttack rendered services in Balasore, Krishnachandrapur and Barbil from 1965-1968.
On June 8, 1968, the three Orissa districts of Balasore, Mayurbhanj and Keonjhar were separated from Calcutta archdiocese and formed into the apostolic prefecture of Balasore, in the ecclesiastical province of Ranchi. It was entrusted to the Congregation of the Mission. In 1974, the prefecture was placed under the ecclesiastical province of Cuttack-Bhubaneswar.
On June 14, 1968, Father Jacob Vadakeveetil, C.M. was appointed first apostolic administrator of Balasore and he took charge on Nov. 18 the same year. Msgr. Vadakeveetil guided the prefecture's destiny until Jan. 13, 1990, when he retired due to ill-health. On the same day Balasore was raised to the status of a diocese and Bishop Thiruthalil, who headed Berhampur diocese (Ganjam district) at the time, was transferred and appointed first bishop of Balasore.
Cities are managed by corporations. Villages and small towns are administered by panchayats and municipalities, respectively. These local bodies are elected.
The diocesan area is well connected in terms of transport infrastructure by roads and railways. The nearest airports are in Kolkata and Bhubaneshwar.
Per capita income is Rs 8,547 ($190) as of March 2011. Farming, especially rice, is the primary occupation. The two districts of Bhadrak and Keonjhar are rich in minerals, and several mines are situated in these areas.
Government and private operators provide extensive telecommunication facilities in the diocesan area. The diocese is well served by local cable TV networks.
Balasore has an average literacy rate of 88 percent, higher than the national average of 59.5 percent. It is also the most literate town of Orissa.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.