Zhumadian, in southern Henan Province, has been a communication hub since ancient times. As a post, messengers and officials passing by took some rest here, hence it got the name "Zhumadian" (a place where people rest themselves and their horses). In an area of 15,000 square kilometer, the prefecture-level city covers one district and nine counties under its administration. Urbanization in Zhumadian is around 35 percent. They are the counties of Queshan, Suiping, Xiping, Shangcai, Runan, Pingyu, Xincai , Zhengyang and Biyang and the district of Yicheng.
Zhumadian has 8.53 million populations in an area of 15,000 square kilometer.
Mandarin and Zhengzhou dialect are in use in the diocesan territory.
The Apostolic Prefecture of Chumatien (Zhumadian) was erected in March 2, 1933. It was elevated into an Apostolic Vicariate in Nov. 9, 1944 and was elevated into a diocese four years later.
In 1948, before the People's Republic of China was established, foreign missionaries understood that Luohe was going to be lost from their control, Bishop of Zhengzhou and Bishop Joseph Marie Yuan of Zhumadian reached an agreement that Luohe to be placed under Zhumadian diocese, which was the only diocese in Henan that was managed by Chinese clergy. During the Cultural Revolution, all the churches were closed and mostly destroyed.
Since the open reform in late 1970s, the Church develops quickly. It has 19 priests, 15 major seminarians and 10 minor seminarians, 35 religious sisters serving 60,000 Catholics. Under the current leadership of Father Liu, there are now 27 Churches and mission stations. The diocese has also established a religious sister's congregation, a minor seminary and two eye clinics.
The Our Lady, Queen of Peace Church was used as a barn during the Cultural Revolution and was thus, saved from destruction. It became the central point of the diocese after Church activities revived.
The National Highway 107 and the Beijing-Guangdong railway pass through Zhumadian. About 100 kilometers to the north of it is the new Zhengzhou International Airport.
Situated in the mid-altitude zone and categorized as the transitional climate between northern subtropical zone and warm temperate zone, Zhumadian features clearly demarcated seasons, sufficient rainfall and plentiful sunlight. The average temperature is 14.6 to 15 degrees Celsius year-round.
Zhumadian is a prefecture-level city. It borders Xinyang to the south, Nanyang to the west, Pingdingshan to the northwest, Luohe to the north, Zhoukou to the northeast, and the province of Anhui to the east.
Because of sufficient rainfall and plentiful sunlight, Zhumadian is extremely agreeable for the growth of crops and have made the place an important grain and oil production base of national level, regarded as "the grain store of the country", "the oil tank of Central China" and "the kingdom of sesame."
Zhumadian has a very old history. Some relics of the Old Stone Age were found in the area, showing that there was human activity in 18,000 years ago. It was one of the main war sites as well as the weapon manufacturing center in the Warring Period (around 475 BC-221 BC). Zhumadian was said to be the birthplaces of many famous people. It was believed to be hometown of Liang Shanbo and Zhu Yingtai, the characters in the legendary story "the Butterfly Lovers". The State Council has listed it as an intangible cultural heritage.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.