In a land area of about 80,000 square kilometers, the diocesan territory covers Yan'an and Yulin cites, Dingbian and Jingbian counties, and Anbian town.
Yan'an, a Prefecture-level city in northern Shaanxi province in China, was the main base of the Communist Party of China, which set up an interim government there during 1936-1948, after the 12,500-kilometer Long March to avoid attack from the Nationalist army, which later fled to Taiwan.
Shaanxi became an apostolic vicariate in late 17th century. In 1887 it was split into Shaannan (south) and Shaanbei (north) vicariates. Shaanbei was renamed Yan'an in 1924. It had been managed by Spanish Franciscans until missionary work was stopped by the Communist land reform in 1934, while China was still in war with Japan. Bishop Celestin Ibáñez, all 33 priests and 3 Franciscan friars left Yan'an the next year and continued to work in neighboring provinces.
In 1936, when the Communist army occupied Yan'an, only a few priests remained to serve in other parts of the diocese and missionary work almost stopped. Foreign missionaries were later expelled from mainland China and native priests could not return to the diocese until they died.
Bishop Pacificus Li Xuande was appointed the second bishop of Yan'an in 1951, but could not assume office and died in 1972. During the Cultural Revolution (1966-76), priests were imprisoned and churches were demolished. Most Catholic laypeople lost their faith except for very few who persisted to pray secretly.
When religious activities revived in early 1980s, the government-sanctioned "open" Church authority allotted an area covering Dingbian, Jingbian and Anbian from Ningxia diocese to Yan'an diocese. The diocese's name was changed officially to Yulin, when the government made administrative revisions in 1990.
Among the 24 native priests, only Father Joseph Wang Zhenye returned to the diocese in 1984. He was ordained a bishop in 1991 without papal approval. The diocese has been gradually restored in recent decades under the leadership of Bishop Wang and his successor Bishop Francis Tong Hui.
Today, the diocese is based in Maotuan village in Jingbian county and has about 40 churches and mission points, but is unable to regain several old churches.
One of them is the Qiaoergou church in Yan'an city, which was built in 1934 but was confiscated as a school to train the Communist cadres and an art academy. It also became the venue of a plenary meeting of the Communist Party's Central Committee in 1938. The church has been lately restored as a sanctuary of the Chinese Revolution and was declared a national monument. It is unlikely that the former church will be returned despite the diocese has been demanding for years.
The area belongs to temperate semi-arid continental monsoon climate with four distinct seasons and long duration of sunshine. The average temperature of Yan'an is 7.7-10.6 degrees Celsius and annual precipitation is about 500 mm. Yulin's average temperature is 10 degree Celsius and annual precipitation is about 400 mm.
Coal mining is the first source of income. There are oil and gas developments of Yan'an and Yulin cities which boost the economy recently. Agriculture is another important industry in the area.
Yan'an has an area of 37,030 square kilometers and a population of 2,150, 800 as of the end of 2006. It borders Yulin city to the south. Yulin at the far north of Shaanxi province has an area of 43,578 square kilometers and a population of 3,516,300 as of the end of 2006.
Both cities locate at mountainous area of the Loess Plateau and border the Yellow River on the east. Yulin has common border with Inner Mongolia. At the North/Northwest of Yulin is the Ordos Desert, though the countryside is very green due to the many small shrubs which have been planted to slow the process of desertification.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.