In a land area of approximately 8,169 square kilometers, the diocesan territory covers the four city districts of Weibin, Hongqi, Muye and Fengquan, the two prefecture cities of Huixian and Weihui, as well as the six counties of Xinxiang, Huojia, Yuanyang, Yanjin, Fengqiu and Changyuan.
Xinxiang has a population of 5.57 million, as of 2005.
Mandarin and Henan dialect are in use in the diocesan territory.
The diocese of Xinxiang (Sinsiang) was originally under Weihui diocese. Since the PIME missioners were busy working in other areas, the bishop of Weihui then invited some American SVD missioners to assist in the pastoral work. On Sept. 8, 1933, three Divine Word missioners arrived at Weihui and were invited by Bishop Martino Chiolino to work in Fengqiu county. By the end of 1935, there were resident priests at all the major mission points in Huaiqing (Qinyang), Xiuwu, Zhonghe, Qiaomiao, Wangcun and Fengqiu. In 1936, Father Thomas Megan, S.V.D. was appointed the Prefect of the new Apostolic Prefecture of Xinxiang.
In 1992, Vicar Capitular Father Liu Renping passed away and the diocese thus had only Father Zhang Junxiang serving. During this difficult time, Father Zhang started formation for young men and rebuilt the Qinyang Church. The first batch of seminarians graduated and were ordained priests in 1999. The new blood had brought new development to the diocese. In 2002, the construction of Shangcun Church completed and the reconstruction of Jiaozuo Church was finished next year.
Xinxiang is the intercession for the Beijing-Guangzhou Rail, which connects the north and the south of the country, and the Taiyuan-Shijiu Rail, which connects the Shanxi and Shandong provinces. The road density is 33.4 square kilometer per 100 square kilometers, which is higher than the provincial average of 27 square kilometers. Roads in all the 153 counties and townships are paved with asphalt.
Xinxiang is located at the northern temperate zone which brings four distinct seasons to the area. The climate is mild to warm in summer and cold in winter. The average temperature is 14 degree Celsius with an annual precipitation of 573.4mm.
Xinxiang has an abundant supply of mineral reserves of some 20 minerals which includes iron, copper, aluminum, cement, limestone, coal, chalk, refractory clay, barite, marble, dolomite, etc. The area is also rich in water resources. Some 170 kilometers of the Yellow River goes through the area which enriches a fertile basin of 4,558 square kilometers.
Xinxiang is located at the northern part of the province and is 600 kilometers south of the capital of Beijing. Its southern edge nears the Yellow River with the provincial capital of Zhengzhou and ancient capital Kaifeng located at the opposite bank.
The Henan Normal University is located in Xinxiang, where there are four other higher colleges in the city.
Weihui is a historical city. There are four tourist spots of national level and some 50 spots at the provincial level.
On every first Friday of the month thousands of Catholics flock to Holy Cross Church of Cherpunkal in Kerala, India to revere Infant Jesus and St. Thomas, the founder of the church. The church stands on the southern bank of Meenachil River. This fabled church, also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross)Church, belongs to Catholic Diocese of Palai of the Eastern-rite Syro-Malabar Church.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.