In a land area of 45,000 square kilometers, the diocesan territory covers 14 counties and cities in southeastern Gansu province, northwestern China. Tianshui is 1,100 kilometers southwest of Beijing or 328 kilometers west of Xi'an, capital of Shaanxi province.
The population in the diocesan territory is about 6 million at end of 2004. (The population of the whole country is 1.3 billion). Most residents are ethnic groups of Han, Hui, Tibetan, Dongxiang, Mongolian, Tu, Yugur and Baoan. Gansu has been a multi-ethnic province since ancient times. 54 nationalities have inhabited here.
Catholicism was brought to the Tianshui area as early as 1870. The erection of the diocese came in 1905, when Gansu province, also named Long, meaning surrounded by mountains, was divided into North Long and South Long apostolic vicariates. Saint Fidelis of Sigmaringen, a Swiss Franciscan friar known as the poor people's lawyer who was canonized in 1746, was the patron saint for South Long. The two vicariates were then dropped and the area redivided east and west in 1922.
In 1924, East Long vicariate was renamed Qingzhou (Tsinchow, former name of Tianshui). It became a diocese in 1946. First entrusted to the Congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, German Capuchins took over the area in 1922.
According to the Pontifical Yearbook, the diocese had in 1950 a number of 45,000 Catholics representing 1.8 percent of the population of 2,500 000. There was a total of 88 priests (78 diocesan, 10 religious) and 33 female Religious serving 24 parishes.
After foreign missionaries were expelled from mainland China, Chinese clergy became responsible for Church affairs in Tianshui. Father Augustine Zhao Jingnong led the diocese since 1951 until he and other priests were arrested in the Cultural Revolution.
In 1981, religious activities revived and Father Zhao was ordained a bishop. Under his leadership, the diocese restored confiscated churches and built new churches, and developed pastoral and evangelistic work. There has been no bishop since he died in 2004.
Gansu province was the start of the ancient Silk Road that indirectly linked China with Europe. Tianshui, 1,100 kilometers southwest from Beijing, is a historical and cultural city, since it was an administrative center for various Chinese dynasties as well as an anthropological center. Monuments and records there can be traced back a far as 7,800 years ago.
Tianshui is thought to be the birthplace of two legendary Chinese figures, Fuxi and Nuwa. Fuxi was a demigod credited with the invention of hunting, fishing and the domestication of animals. Nuwa, his wife, was a goddess who created mankind and used stones to patch the holes in the sky caused by the Spirit of Water.
The region has a temperate monsoonal climate with the marked transitional characteristics of a continental climate. Mean annual temperature is 9 degrees Celsius with July being the hottest month, averaging 20 to 24 degrees Celsius, and January, the coldest month with minus 12 to plus 2 degrees Celsius. The mean annual precipitation is 50-500 mm, decreasing from east to west.
Millet, corn (maize), winter wheat, kaoliang (sorghum), some cotton, and tobacco are grown in the area. Along the railway lie large, unexploited coal deposits. Tianshui is the centre of various industries, including machinery, textiles, electrical appliances, and tractors; other products are wine, furniture, and fine lacquerware.
The city stands in a small fertile basin, watered by a long-established irrigation system.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.