Zhanjiang covers the cities of Leizhou, Wuchuan, Lianjiang, the counties of Suixi and Xuwen, and the districts of Chikan, Mazhang, Potou and Xiashan. It has a population of 714 million, in an area covering 13,000 sq. kilometers.
Zhanjiang is located in Leizhou Peninsula, the headland facing Hainan Island. Leizhou was originally called Donghezhou, but its name was changed in the seventh century, owing to the high incidence of thunderstorms (lei) during the Tang dynasty (618-907).
If officials of imperial China had to be demoted, Leizhou, known then as the "barbaric south," was where many were sent to. According to China Meteorological Administration, almost 30 people were killed on an average due to thunderstorms in Leizhou, the heartland of Leizhou Peninsula. Most strikes come in June and July, but the strikes can come at any time.
Xuwen county is the southernmost county in the mainland, and is the gateway to Hainan Island from mainland.
Though Mandarin is the official language of China, the local people of southern China prefer to speak in the Cantonese dialect.
Maoming city, which comes under Jiangmen diocese, was placed under the administration of Zhanjiang, in the year 1994. Zhanjiang cathedral was built in the same year. The Diocese of Zhanjiang was established in 1995, by the government-sanctioned “open” Church authorities.
Zhanjiang Diocese, one of the five dioceses in Guangdong province, is located mainly in the Leizhou Peninsula, about 2,200 kilometers southwest of Beijing and 380 kilometers southwest of Guangzhou.
Zhanjiang Diocese was earlier under the Beihai Diocese. Before People's Republic of China came into being in 1949, Beihai diocese consisted of Gaozhou, Leizhou, Linzhou and Qinzhou in Guangdong province. However, when the government revised the administrative division in 1965, Linzhou and Qinzhou were merged into Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region (GZAR).
In line with the new arrangement, Beihai diocese was also divided. Linzhou and Qinzhou joined Nanning Diocese in the neighboring Guangxi region, while Gaozhou and Leizhou became part of the Guangzhou Diocese. Beihai was established as an Apostolic Vicariate in 1924, and became a diocese in 1946, remaining so to this day.
The Vatican Yearbook Annuario Pontificio has no listing of Zhanjiang diocese, but according to Vatican's Secretary of State Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone's letter to mainland Chinese bishops, dated April 22, 2008, Bishop Su has been addressed as papal-approved Bishop of Beihai/Zhanjiang.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.