UCAN needs your support
You are why we do what we do - report, describe, comment, review. It is to bring to your eyes just what life is like for believers across Asia that we publish UCAN.
But as you know, the effort needs to be sustained if it is to have continuing effect.
UCAN publishes some 150 stories a week in four languages across six websites. We are grateful to benefactors in Europe and the US who support us. But those countries and the Church there are under increasing financial strain and their generosity no longer covers our costs.
We need financial help from our readers to sustain our efforts. Our reporters, editors, video producers and photographers all have families and we need to support them. They do excellent jobs, but they can't do their jobs for nothing.
Will you help us to sustain UCAN? Please click here to help.
Thanks in anticipation.
Fr. Michael Kelly SJ
Villagers allowed home after six years exile
Caritas negotiates an end to villagers' forced displacementResidents of Palukathurei mark their return to the village with a ceremony and feast at the local church
- ucanews.com reporter, Kalpitiya
- Sri Lanka
- July 30, 2012
The half-demolished church was the only building left standing, following the end of the long-running civil war between the national armed forces and the Tamil Tigers.
"Navy bunkers have been built in place of the coconut palms,"Â said Girigoris Dunson Dias, a 48-year-old father of three.Â âThe village is like an abandoned graveyard.â
That was how it appeared to Dias and 150 families when they returned at the weekend. They were finally allowed back there after Caritas succeeded in convincing the authorities.
For the past six years, the fishermen had been relocated to the Kalpitiya Islands. The navy forced them to go there when their village was declared a no-go military zone in 2006.
The relocation had a negative effect on their livelihoods. From Palukathurei, it would cost the fishermen just US$5 in fuel for each boat to make the trip out to sea, an amount which climbed steeply to $22 from their new settlement.
âIn our lives, the main thing is work,â said Anthony Marcus Pillei, a 50-year-old returnee. âWithout that we cannot think about our daily bread, the education of our children and other things.â
A weekend ceremony to mark the villagers' return included a Mass and a feast for the first time since 2006. Â At the event, Senior Social Welfare Minister Milroy Fernando praised Caritas for helping the fishermen.
He pointed out that the people of Palukathurei were among nearly half a million people displaced by the fighting which reached a climaxÂ with the final victory of the government forces in May 2009. Still today, 6,000 of these people remain in welfare centers.
Father A. Barnaba, director of the local branch of Caritas, said it had been a difficult process.
âMany a time the answer to their appeals was unsympathetic but we never gave up as this is about the lives of poor fishing families and their basic rights,â he said.
Displaced Tamils protest for access to land