UCAN needs your support
You are why we do what we do - report, describe, comment, review. It is to bring to your eyes just what life is like for believers across Asia that we publish UCAN.
But as you know, the effort needs to be sustained if it is to have continuing effect.
UCAN publishes some 150 stories a week in four languages across six websites. We are grateful to benefactors in Europe and the US who support us. But those countries and the Church there are under increasing financial strain and their generosity no longer covers our costs.
We need financial help from our readers to sustain our efforts. Our reporters, editors, video producers and photographers all have families and we need to support them. They do excellent jobs, but they can't do their jobs for nothing.
Will you help us to sustain UCAN? Please click here to help.
Thanks in anticipation.
Fr. Michael Kelly SJ
UN accuses Myanmar police in Rohingya massacre
Says police and Buddhist mobs killed nearly 50 people
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay speaks at a press conference in December last year in Geneva (AFP photo/Fabrice Coffrini)
- AFP, Yangon
- January 24, 2014
UN human rights chief Navi Pillay urged Myanmar on Thursday to investigate reports that more than 40 people had been killed in attacks on Rohingya Muslims in the country's strife-torn Rakhine state.
"I deplore the loss of life in [the village of] Du Chee Yar Tan and call on the authorities to carry out a full, prompt and impartial investigation and ensure that victims and their families receive justice," Pillay said in a statement.
The UN, the statement said, had received "credible information" that eight Rohingya Muslim men were attacked and killed in the village, near the border with Bangladesh, by local Rakhine Buddhists on January 9.
Four days later, a police sergeant in the same village was captured and killed by Rohingya.
This in turn prompted village police and local Rakhine to kill at least 40 Rohingya Muslim men, women and children the same evening, the statement said, adding that the UN had passed on the information it had received to the Myanmar government.
"By responding to these incidents quickly and decisively, the government has an opportunity to show transparency and accountability, which will strengthen democracy and the rule of law in Myanmar," Pillay said.
Myanmar's western Rakhine state remains tense after several outbreaks of communal bloodshed between Buddhist and Muslim communities since 2012 that have killed scores and displaced 140,000 people, mainly from the Rohingya minority.
Details of the latest unrest remain unclear, but activists said shortly after the January 13 attack that at least two women and a child were stabbed to death in the village, with possibly several dozen casualties.
Myanmar authorities have denied any civilian deaths but confirmed a clash took place in which a police officer was presumed to have been killed. AFP