UCAN needs your support
You are why we do what we do - report, describe, comment, review. It is to bring to your eyes just what life is like for believers across Asia that we publish UCAN.
But as you know, the effort needs to be sustained if it is to have continuing effect.
UCAN publishes some 150 stories a week in four languages across six websites. We are grateful to benefactors in Europe and the US who support us. But those countries and the Church there are under increasing financial strain and their generosity no longer covers our costs.
We need financial help from our readers to sustain our efforts. Our reporters, editors, video producers and photographers all have families and we need to support them. They do excellent jobs, but they can't do their jobs for nothing.
Will you help us to sustain UCAN? Please click here to help.
Thanks in anticipation.
Fr. Michael Kelly SJ
Supreme Court backs naval base
Ruling clears way for controversial military facility on Jeju IslandRiot police hold back protesters on Jeju Island
- Stephen Hong, Seoul
- July 6, 2012
South Korea‚Äôs top court returned the case back to the Appellate Court which had previously determined the initial base construction plan was invalid for lack of environmental assessments, a decision overturned by the Supreme Court yesterday which found the study was done in 2010.
Residents and activists criticized the court‚Äôs decision amid fears it would speed up construction at the site, already the scene of a number of standoffs between protesters and the authorities.
‚ÄúThe Supreme Court should be the last bastion of the weak but ruled in favor of the powerful,‚ÄĚ said Kang Dong-kyun, the village head of Gangjeong where the naval base is being built.
Opponents of the base would file a constitutional appeal, he added.
‚ÄúThe Church will stand by Gangjeong‚Äôs people, irrespective of the court‚Äôs ruling,‚ÄĚ said Columban Father Patrick Cunningham, who was recently threatened with deportation because of his activities opposing the base.
Ko Gwon-il, president of the Committee against the Naval Base in Gangjeong, said the court had been hijacked by politics in a move that served to bolster the government‚Äôs hardline policies.
‚ÄúWhat local residents want is just the government‚Äôs sincere attitude to listen to them,‚ÄĚ he said.
The navy said yesterday it would move ahead with construction of the base, which is already more than 20 percent completed, it added, having spent 207 billion won of the total 977 billion won (US$860 million) budgeted.
The navy has said previously that the base will become home to 20 warships and two 150,000-tonne cruise vessels.
In 2009, Gangjeong residents filed a lawsuit against then defense minister Kim Kwan-jin in a bid to halt construction of the base.
Since then, the project has faced protests from local residents, environmentalists and religious groups who claim the base will cause environmental damage to the island, a famous tourism destination¬†and a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Rock blasting draws fire
Police acted ‚Äėworse than regime‚Äô