Still no justice over the Maguindanao massacre
Four years after a mass killing of media workers, fear remains
Families of the 58 people massacred in Maguindanao continue to wait for justice
The threat was unambiguous. If Bong Andal testified against one of the Philippines’ most powerful political families about their alleged involvement in the November 23, 2009 massacre in Mindanao, his own family would suffer.
“They came again last month, showing pictures to my relatives, letting them know that they’re watching us,” Andal told me this week.
Those threats – and the Philippine government’s inability or unwillingness to stop them – speak volumes about the glacial pace of judicial proceedings against alleged perpetrators of the Maguindanao massacre, in which the Ampatuan family’s “private army” is sais to have murdered 58 people.
Four years after the bodies of the victims were located off of a highway outside of the town of Ampatuan, the massacre remains a shameful example of impunity in the Philippines.
The basic facts of the case are undisputed. Armed men paid by the Ampatuan family, including local police and soldiers, stopped a convoy that included the wife of opposition politician Esmael Mangudadatu, his supporters and family members, and more than 30 media workers.
Mangudadatu had sent them to file his candidacy for provincial governor in elections scheduled for the following year.
The gunmen herded everyone in the convoy to a hilltop a few miles away and promptly executed them. Many were buried in mass graves excavated by a backhoe operated by Bong Andal.
In his statements to prosecutors, Andal said he witnessed members of the Ampatuan militia shoot several of the victims.
The crime was the worst single attack against members of the media in history and one of the Philippines’ worst single incidents of political violence.
Four years later, the case is in effective judicial limbo. A total of 94 suspects remain at large. Bail petitions and testimony challenges by the defense lawyers of the 101 suspects in custody have overwhelmed the court.
But the problem of the Maguindanao massacre case is more than a failure of judicial process. It is about whether those threatening Bong Andal rather than the authorities control the proceedings.
It’s a cruel reminder to activists, journalists and politicians critical of the status quo that they too might be targeted with impunity.
The human rights rhetoric of the government of President Benigno Aquino III has not transformed the dangerous reality on the ground.
As Aquino enters the last half of his six-year term in office, he should recognize that he will be ultimately judged by his actions, not his words.
Carlos H Conde is the Philippines researcher for Human Rights Watch’s Asia division
Pope Francis faces Catholics who continue to resist and remain fearful of his efforts to change pastoral methods
Church parish and St. Vincent de Paul team up to be an example of God's mercy for those claiming asylum
Superiors at South Korean conference pledge to help preserve the earth
Says local church will act if similar threat arises there
The missing could be brainwashed by terror groups, used for sexual purposes or their organs traded, they say