The Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) today announced the immediate end to a temporary truce with government forces.
The rebel group said the decision to end the truce was made after the government failed to reciprocate an order issued by the rebel group to its fighters to extend the truce to January 15. The truce had been in place since December 16 and was due to expire at midnight, local time, tonight.
The CCP has told all its armed units, including the New People's Army (NPA) and village militias, the ceasefire is over, so they will not be placed in an "unduly disadvantaged position" when government forces end the suspension of military offensives by midnight tonight, a statement from the CCP said.
"The NPA and the people's militias should immediately assume an offensive posture and confront and frustrate the enemy campaigns of suppression," read a statement by the CPP released to the media today.
The governmental peace panel, meanwhile, said talks with communist rebels have been "most challenging," but that despite the setbacks, "we are now back on track working together for a just and lasting peace."
"The process has moved forward," a spokesperson said, pointing out that the ceasefire allowed "soldiers and rebels to spend Christmas with family and friends."