UCAN needs your support
You are why we do what we do - report, describe, comment, review. It is to bring to your eyes just what life is like for believers across Asia that we publish UCAN.
But as you know, the effort needs to be sustained if it is to have continuing effect.
UCAN publishes some 150 stories a week in four languages across six websites. We are grateful to benefactors in Europe and the US who support us. But those countries and the Church there are under increasing financial strain and their generosity no longer covers our costs.
We need financial help from our readers to sustain our efforts. Our reporters, editors, video producers and photographers all have families and we need to support them. They do excellent jobs, but they can't do their jobs for nothing.
Will you help us to sustain UCAN? Please click here to help.
Thanks in anticipation.
Fr. Michael Kelly SJ
President wants action on Soeharto massacre
Atrocities of 1960's purge come to lightMembers of this woman's family were among the half a million killed (Photo Ryan Dagur)
- By Ryan Dagur, Jakarta
- July 26, 2012
â€śWe must be clear, honest and objective about what happened in the past. We're not going to distort the history and facts,â€ť President Yudhoyono said yesterday.
After a four-year investigation, involving interviews with hundreds of witnesses, the commission announced its findings on the anti-communist purge earlier this week.
It said it had discovered evidence of severe violations and crimes in the purge, which was ordered in 1965-66 and accounted for the deaths ofÂ more than half a million people.
It also concluded that the now defunct Operational Command for the Restoration of Security (Kopkamtib) was largely Â responsible.Â The force was established in October 1965 and headed by Soeharto, who succeeded Indonesiaâ€™s first president Soekarno after he was overthrown.
The report said the crimes came in the form of murder, enslavement, expulsion or forcible transfer of population, deprivation of liberty or physical liberty, torture, rape and enforced disappearances.
â€śWe want a good, just, factual, and constructive settlement,â€ť Yudhoyono said, adding that he would also consult with legislative bodies and other institutions regarding the findings.
Haris Azhar,Â coordinator of the Commission for Disappearances and Victims of Violence (KontraS), whoÂ monitored the investigation process, praised the presidentâ€™s immediate response but warned that it must be followed by concrete action.
â€śHe must act progressively by urging the attorney general to immediately form a team to follow up on this report. Do not just talk," Azhar said.
President must act on shootings
Activists slam govtâ€™s UN denial