Philippine earthquake survivors to dine with pope
More details emerge of upcoming papal visit
Survivors of the October 2013 earthquake in Bohol gather for religious celebrations in makeshift churches. (Photo by Vincent Go)
Several survivors of the earthquake that devastated the Philippine province of Bohol last year are among those set to dine with Pope Francis when he visits the country in January next year.
"We will be sending some of my people there who were victims of the quake, five of them. They will dine with the pope," said Bishop Leonardo Medroso of Tagbilaran.
Bishop Medroso expressed hope that the pope will also visit Bohol "even for just one or two hours to counsel our people".
The prelate said that the 7.2 magnitude earthquake, which struck the central Philippines in October last year, ruined 33 churches in his diocese.
Bishops Medroso said people later built "alternative churches" using tents where Masses are still being held.
Archbishop John Du of Palu recently revealed that Pope Francis will dine with 30 typhoon and earthquake victims when the he visits Tacloban City on January 17.
Pope Francis will be visiting the Philippines from January 15 to 19.
Catholics say they are 'pained' at the destruction
Military confirms leading group member, Raddulan Sahiron, has sent out feelers about giving himself up
Jakarta governor poll shows religion taking precedence over social issues, observers say
Food shortages loom for communities in northeastern region hit by unseasonal flooding
One man was beaten unconscious and 20 others were injured, says eyewitness