Papal nuncio suspended over abuse accusations
Vatican confirms he has been relieved of duties
The Vatican has recalled its ambassador to the Dominican Republic and relieved him of his duties pending an investigation, after local media accused him of paedophilia, a spokesman for the Roman Catholic Church said.
The Dominican Attorney General announced late on Wednesday that a special prosecutor had been appointed to investigate Archbishop Josef Wesolowski, who has been nuncio, or ambassador, in the capital Santo Domingo for nearly six years.
Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi said the Holy See had started a probe of Wesolowski and that he had been recalled "in the last few weeks," specifically over the paedophilia accusations.
"He has been relieved of his duties and the Holy See has begun an investigation," Lombardi said when asked about allegations against Wesolowski in the local media.
Wesolowski could not be reached for comment. Weeks after his election in March as the first non-European pontiff in 1,300 years, Pope Francis announced he wanted the church to root out sexual abuse of children by priests and ensure that abusers are punished.
Monsignor Agripino Núñez Collado, a church official in the Caribbean nation, told reporters the Vatican acted as soon as the pope had been informed of Wesolowski's alleged "missteps."
He said Wesolowski faces possible punishment by the Vatican but may be immune from prosecution in the Dominican Republic because a nuncio has diplomatic status.
Dominican Attorney General Francisco Dominguez Brito told reporters the investigation would take into account national and international law, "given his status as a diplomat."
Full Story: Pope recalls envoy over abuse accusations
Source: Al Jazeera
Addressing the issue doesn't appear to be among the government's priorities
Archdiocese aims to reduce energy consumption by 5-10 percent
Not all poor people benefiting from new law that guarantees affordable food
Most cases go unreported in Bangladesh due to social stigma, which can be fatal
More than 3,500 have been slain since Duterte's war on drugs began