More than 900 Pakistan insurgents killed since June, claims army
Military declares major offensive a success
ucanews.com reporter, Rawalpindi
September 4, 2014
Pakistan’s military says it has killed more than 900 insurgents so far in an ongoing offensive to wipe out sanctuaries of local and foreign fighters from the country’s semi-autonomous tribal region bordering Afghanistan.
Launched in June this year, the military operation, named Operation Zarb-e-Azb, has resulted in the deaths of 910 terrorists, a press release issued by the army’s press wing, Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) said this week.
ISPR claims the operation has also destroyed a “huge cache” of arms and ammunition, as well as communications and other equipment, eroding the ability of insurgent groups “to attack as a coherent force”.
Security forces have also cleared the towns of Miranshah, Mir Ali, Datta Khel, Boya and Degan, which the army says were “strongholds of terrorists”.
At the same time, the army says 82 of it soldiers have died as part of operations, while another 269 were injured. The fatalities include 42 in North Waziristan, 23 in the rest of the six federally administered tribal districts, and 17 in other parts of the country including Balochistan province and Karachi.
However, the operation has also displaced a large number of civilians in affected areas. The military says relief operations for what it calls “temporarily dislocated people” from North Waziristan are ongoing. According to the ISPR, it has distributed ratios to more than 97,500 families.
Pope Francis faces Catholics who continue to resist and remain fearful of his efforts to change pastoral methods
Church parish and St. Vincent de Paul team up to be an example of God's mercy for those claiming asylum
Superiors at South Korean conference pledge to help preserve the earth
Says local church will act if similar threat arises there
The missing could be brainwashed by terror groups, used for sexual purposes or their organs traded, they say