UCAN needs your support
You are why we do what we do - report, describe, comment, review. It is to bring to your eyes just what life is like for believers across Asia that we publish UCAN.
But as you know, the effort needs to be sustained if it is to have continuing effect.
UCAN publishes some 150 stories a week in four languages across six websites. We are grateful to benefactors in Europe and the US who support us. But those countries and the Church there are under increasing financial strain and their generosity no longer covers our costs.
We need financial help from our readers to sustain our efforts. Our reporters, editors, video producers and photographers all have families and we need to support them. They do excellent jobs, but they can't do their jobs for nothing.
Will you help us to sustain UCAN? Please click here to help.
Thanks in anticipation.
Fr. Michael Kelly SJ
Military downplays Manila 'terror threat'
No intelligence reports suggest an attack is imminent, general saysSecurity forces inspect a chapel destroyed by a bomb in Mindanao last week
- by ucanews.com reporters, Manila
- September 19, 2011
Major-General Tristan Kison, head of the National Capital Regional Command, said the military has not received any intelligence reports regarding possible attacks supposedly directed by Basit Usman, leader of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front-Special Operations Group.
Usman, a known bomb expert, is also affiliated with the international terrorist network Jemaah Islamiyah and the local Abu Sayyaf Group, according to Gen Kison.
He was referring to reports quoting Felicisimo Khu, head of the Directorate for Integrated Police Operations in Western Mindanao, as saying that intelligence information suggests ¬†‚Äúterrorists‚ÄĚ are planning attacks in Metro Manila, Davao City and General Santos City.
Khu reportedly made the comments following a series of bomb blasts in Cotabato City last week, allegedly carried out by the group led by Usman.
‚ÄúWe have not received any report there are going to be bombings [in Metro Manila], and if ever there were, we would follow them up,‚ÄĚ Gen Kison said.
‚ÄúHere in Metro Manila, we have intensified our intelligence gathering and cooperation with other agencies to prevent or preempt threats to the people‚Äôs security,‚ÄĚ Gen Kison added.
Meanwhile, around 200 Muslim and Christian children held a rally yesterday at the People Power Monument in Quezon City to call for peace in Mindanao.
The rally, sponsored by the Manila Jaycees, Asia-America Initiative and the armed forces, focused on the ‚Äúrichness and beauty‚ÄĚ of Mindanao and its people rather than on conflict and terrorism.
Mindanao negotiators need help
Activists urge Mindanao ceasefire