UCAN needs your support
You are why we do what we do - report, describe, comment, review. It is to bring to your eyes just what life is like for believers across Asia that we publish UCAN.
But as you know, the effort needs to be sustained if it is to have continuing effect.
UCAN publishes some 150 stories a week in four languages across six websites. We are grateful to benefactors in Europe and the US who support us. But those countries and the Church there are under increasing financial strain and their generosity no longer covers our costs.
We need financial help from our readers to sustain our efforts. Our reporters, editors, video producers and photographers all have families and we need to support them. They do excellent jobs, but they can't do their jobs for nothing.
Will you help us to sustain UCAN? Please click here to help.
Thanks in anticipation.
Fr. Michael Kelly SJ
Military denies 'imminent' terrorist threat
Embassy travel advisories unfounded, says colonel
- ucanews.com reporter, Manila
- October 1, 2012
The military today refuted travel advisories issued by several Western countries last week warning of an imminent terrorist threat in the country's capital.
"There is no imminent threat monitored by our intelligence units," said military spokesman Colonel Arnulfo Marcelo Burgos. He said the intelligence information used in the advisories did not come from the Philippine military.
"We have not monitored any imminent threat or any violence that will be emanating from a terrorist group or other groups," he said.
On Friday, the US embassy warned its citizens of a looming threat against Americans in Manila. The message, which was posted on the embassy's website, said the threat will remain in effect until October 10. On Saturday, Canada, Australia, and Britain also releasedÂ their own travel advisories, without providing further detailsÂ .
Burgos, however, said the military will continue to validate the threats cited. "We will continue our [intelligence gathering] and further intensify our monitoring efforts," he said.
The government yesterday issued a statement assuring the public that heightened security have been implemented around embassies of â€śWesternâ€ť nations in Manila following last weekâ€™s advisories.
Presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said the security measures were implemented "as a matter of precaution."
Â Search fails to find abducted Europeans
Philippine worship places in terrorist sightsÂ