Last minute appeal over Filipino death sentence
Migrant worker faces execution in Saudi Arabia
ucanews.com reporter, Manila
November 13, 2012
The group Migrante said the government’s last-ditch effort to save the life of migrant worker Joselito Zapanta is "happening late in the game."
Zapanta was found guilty of the murder of a Sudanese national in 2010 in Saudi Arabia and has until tomorrow to pay the necessary compensation to the victim’s family – $1.3 million – or face likely execution.
Zapanta’s family has only been able to raise $121,000 so far to save him.
His mother and sister are traveling to Saudi Arabia with a formal letter for the victim’s family requesting an extension, said Foreign Affairs Spokesman Raul Hernandez.
Vice President Jejomar Binay recently also appealed for Zapanta's life as he announced the execution has already been scheduled, despite an appeal by President Benigno Aquino.
Binay said Aquino wrote an appeal to King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia last month but the fate of the offender rests on the decision of the victim's family.
Connie Bragas-Regalado, chairperson of Migrante, said the lack of government assistance for migrant workers like Zapanta has turned into a trend in the Philippines.
"We are now seeing a pattern of negligence and last-minute actions. Heads must roll, and it should not be those of our overseas workers," she said.
Group urges help for maids in Saudi Arabia
New migrants’ group inspired by Calungsod
Often confined at home, Augustinian order seeks to allow the disabled to contribute to society
Law will reduce instances of corruption and promote good governance, says priest from Colombo Archdiocese
Manila Archdiocese accepts two US-donated mobile clinics to help care for street children
Authorizes in Xinjiang have forced halal restaurants to open during the day in Ramadan
Catholics step in to stem potential shortage while Muslims abstain from donating during holy month