Karnataka Christians mark 2008 attacks
Jesuit Father Ronnie Prabhu, general secretary of the Karnataka United Christian Forum for Human Rights, expressed relief that the anniversary passed off peacefully.
Karnataka witnessed a series of attacks on churches and Christian groups that began on September 13, 2008 by Hindu extremists who had accused Christians of committing conversions in the state. At least 24 churches and prayer halls were damaged.
Father Prabhu said there were rumors that the Hindu radicals would repeat the attacks this year, but no incidents have been reported so far.
Abbes Mary Carmel, superior of the Adoration Monastery in Mangalore, said groups of people took turns saying hour-long prayers at their chapel today, which was one of the places vandalized during the 2008 attacks.
Marites Flor, a Filipino woman, was kidnapped with two Canadians and a Norwegian in September
Vatican spokesman treads lightly in response to events occurring inside China
Villagers in Bago Division destroyed parts of a mosque, a madrassa and some houses following an argument
Francis Atul Sarker vows to boost Caritas services for more people
Reintroduction will see many innocent and poor people executed in the Philippines, they say