Hollywood sees a boom in Biblical films
Producers warn that mixing screenplays and Christian values can be tricky
A still from the forthcoming film Son of God (picture courtesy Lightworkers Media)
Studios and filmmakers are rediscovering a classic text as source material for upcoming mainstream films: the Bible.
Nearly 10 years after the blockbuster success of Mel Gibson’s “The Passion of the Christ,” which earned $611.9 million worldwide, studios are looking to the Good Book for good material.
Future films include:
- LD Entertainment is financially backing ”Resurrection,” a drama set immediately after Jesus’ death and directed by “Hatfields & McCoys” director Kevin Reynolds.
- Paramount will release “Noah,” a $125 million adaptation starring Russell Crowe in 2014.
- 20th Century Fox is developing “Exodus,” a Moses film starring Christian Bale.
- Warner Bros. has another Moses-themed film titled “Gods And Kings,” which Steven Spielberg flirted with directing.
- Warner Bros. also is working on a film on Pontius Pilate, rumored to possibly include Brad Pitt.
- Sony is producing Will Smith’s “The Redemption of Cain,” on the sibling rivalry of Cain and Abel.
- Lionsgate has been developing “Mary Mother of Christ,” described as “a prequel to ‘The Passion of the Christ”’ and rumored to include Ben Kingsley.
The couple behind the show, Mark Burnett and “Touched by an Angel” star Roma Downey, said mixing Hollywood and the Bible can be tricky.
“It’s not just some story,” said Burnett, who produces “The Voice” and “Survivor.” “There’s a price to pay for failing to stay on track and failing to get the right advisers.”
When showing it to a group of children, the couple said they were told one thing: “Please don’t make it lame.”
“It’s not enough to have good intentions,” said Downey, who plays Jesus’ mother Mary in the series. “It has to be told in a way that’s relevant to a contemporary audience.”
Source: Religion News Service
Cultural center keeps alive traditional arts and culture of tribal people in Odisha state
Female politicians travel to former warzone to meet women but only spoke to a tiny fraction of the turnout
Thousands throng streets of Philippine capital to protest government's handling of housing policy
Sister Rani Maria Vattalil died of multiple knife wounds for helping the poor
Hoa Hao Buddhists go on hunger strike to protest police harassment