Government promises flood victim aid
Pledges to rebuild homes lost in Timor Leste storms
Minister Jacinto Rigoberto talks to an elderly flood victim at an emergency shelter
The government of Timor Leste has promised to rehouse more than 1,400 families who lost their homes in flash floods that struck several parts of the country earlier this month.
The government has allocated US$5 million for the reconstruction of homes, Jacinto Rigoberto, Deputy Minister of Social Solidarity said on Thursday.
Heavy downpours last week caused extensive flooding in Kovalima-Suai district, 200 kilometers south of the capital Dili, which killed three people and displaced thousands.
Floods at the start of the month had also badly affected parts of Baucau, Viqueque, and Manufahi districts.
About 1,461 families evacuated to emergency shelters, will remain there until their homes are fixed, Rigoberto said.
Vidal Eurico da Silva, head of National Emergency Disaster Management agency, told ucanews.com, yesterday that more than 2,000 families had been affected by this month’s floods which also destroyed crops and damaged roads and bridges.
"We have distributed more than 7 tons of rice, noodles, canned fish, milk, cooking oil, and clothing to victims," he said.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh honors her as 'mother to all Indians'
'A lot of homework still needs to be done' before Indonesia meets obligations
Those who are meant to uphold the values of life and liberty cannot remain silent
It requires all foreign-funded NGOs to submit virtually all activities for approval
Bangladesh Christian Association wants to further the rights of Christians by being a social justice platform