Four sentenced to death in Xinjiang
Four people, apparently native Uighurs, are sentenced to death in Xinjiang for violence that killed 32 people in the summer, said a Reuters report in The West Australian.
September 16, 2011
The government blamed the incidents in Kashgar and Hotan - both in the majority Uighur southern part of Xinjiang - on religious extremists and separatists who want to establish an independent state called East Turkestan.
Uighurs are a Turkic-speaking Muslim people native to Xinjiang.
The courts in the two cities found the four, who all appeared to be Uighurs judging by their names, to be guilty of crimes including involvement in terrorism, arson and murder, the Xinjiang government website www.tianshannet.com said late on Wednesday.
"Both cases were heard in open courts in accordance with the law, with representatives from all walks of life attending," the report said. "During the trial, the accused ... confessed everything."
But the Germany-based exile group the World Uyghur Congress said the four had been tortured while in detention and were given only very limited access to lawyers.
China sentences four to death for Xinjiang violence (The West Australian/Reuters)
Miran Rijavec on Flickr
CC BY-SA 2.0
Annual Sant'Egidio community event helps homeless Muslims in Jakarta
Christian prisoners are singled out for more abuse than others, say activists
Report is politically motivated as the government faces criticism for failing to protect religious minorities, say activists
Reporters should avoid writing news that will worsen conflicts, bishops' conference official says
Philippine Catholic Church leaders respond to pope's comments on seeking forgiveness for the way gay people are treated