Church collects for flood victims
Catholics among thousands evacuated as torrents damage houses and communications
ucanews.com reporter, Guiyang
June 15, 2011
Heavy rain last week caused serious floods in Wangmo, in southwest Guizhou province, isolating the county from the outside world.
Overflowing river waters and mountain torrents have killed 21 people and left 31 missing in the county. More than 40,000 people were forced to evacuate.
The donations will be sent to the victims as soon as local transportation recovers, a Church worker said.
Guizhou diocese, which is based in the provincial capital Guiyang city, could not reach the pastor of Wangmo parish, Father Zhang Yiyong, for two days after the rainstorm.
“Electric power, water supply and telecommunication there were interrupted. But luckily, the church was unaffected as it is located far from the flooded river,” reported the priest.
He paid visits to all parishioners in the county town last weekend and found out some 55 people in 13 families were affected.
Some victims stayed in the church or went to relatives. They urgently need food and clothes. The parish will offer them free accommodation and meals despite its straitened circumstances, the priest promised.
The diocese has called on Catholics to make donations to help the flood victims. Some people have brought rice, oil, bedding and clothes to their parishes.
Pope donates $30,000 to China flood relief work
Disaster strengthens Chinese Catholics’ faith
Catholics washed out by new floods in China
China Church keeps providing flood relief
Sexual orientation is totally different from biological orientation, says priest
Such 'quick solutions' to curb militancy, a blatant disrespect of law, says Supreme Court lawyer Father Albert T. Rozario
Being indifferent to the poor and suffering 'turns Christians into hypocrites'
Principal of Mount Carmel School in Pune 'extremely worried' about the safety of girl students and staff
They will together cooperate for the evangelization of China and beyond