China has accused Tibet activists of ''distorting truth'' over a clash in Sichuan province on Monday.
Foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei said "overseas secessionist groups" trying to discredit the government would not succeed, state news agency Xinhua reported on Tuesday.
One man was killed and nine, including five policemen, were injured, he added.
Rights groups said dozens of people were injured when Chinese security forces fired on Tibetan protesters.
The incident took place in the county of Draggo, known as Luhuo in Chinese. The area is a Tibetan-dominated part of western Sichuan, which borders China's official Tibetan Autonomous Region.
Foreign media, including the BBC, have been barred from the area, making events there difficult to verify.
Mr Hong added that those who were hurt had been treated in hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.
"At present, Luhuo County has been returned to order and local authorities have been conducting an investigation into the incident," he added.
According to Xinhua, dozens of people including monks ''stormed and smashed some stores along a main street and a police station''.
The agency said the "mob'', armed with knives, threw stones at police officers and destroyed two police vehicles and two ambulances.
Activists said the protestors were demanding for freedom for Tibet when the violence broke out.
The London-based rights group Free Tibet quoted eyewitnesses as saying a large group of Tibetans marched on government offices, where the security forces opened fire.
Full Story: China accuses Tibet activists of 'distorting' clashes
Source: BBC News