• China Flag
  • India Flag
  • Indonesia Flag
  • Philippines Flag
  • Vietnam Flag

Catholics urged to remain calm

Priests urge parishioners not to retaliate after Hanoi church, convent attacks

Some 5,000 Catholics praying for the government to return Church
properties at Thai Ha Church Some 5,000 Catholics praying for the government to return Church properties at Thai Ha Church
  • ucanews.com reporter, Ha Noi
  • Vietnam
  • November 8, 2011
  • Facebook
  • Print
  • Mail
  • Share
Redemptorists in a parish in Hanoi have urged local Catholics to keep calm after a mob led by government officials attacked a convent and church last week.

Tens of thousands of people attended 10 special Masses celebrated by the Redemptorists last weekend at Thai Ha Church in the capital.

Each Mass was attended by an estimated 3,000-5,000 people.

During the Masses, priests told parishioners about the attacks and appealed to them to stay calm.

On November 3, around 100 people, accompanied by security officials and members of the press, attacked the convent. They damaged a gate and verbally abused and physically assaulted several Redemptorist priests and lay people.

They fled after the church’s bell rang out which brought many people rushing to the scene.

“We strongly condemn this violent, rude and organized attack,” Redemptorist Father Joseph Nguyen Van Phuong, told one congregation.

The parish pastor urged them to “forgive them and avoid retaliation.”

He said the motive behind the attack probably stems from an ongoing dispute with the government over seized Church property.

“We are determined to fight for Church property in a peaceful way and urge the government to punish the rioters,” he added.

Local state-run media reported the attackers were locals who were angry at parish opposition to a government-run sewage treatment project close to the nearby Dong Da hospital.

Church sources said 40 Redemptorists and parishioners took to the streets in protest on October 27 to oppose the project and demand the return of several of the hospital’s buildings which had been convents since 1931.

The government “borrowed” and have been using the buildings since 1959.

The same sources said the authorities plan to demolish the buildings to construct a new one.

Yesterday hundreds of local Catholics marched to the headquarters of the People’s Committee in Quang Trung ward to demand the authorities respect private ownership and return what they say belongs to the Church.

They said 97 old Church facilities in Hanoi are in the hands of the government.
  • Facebook
  • Print
  • Mail
  • Share
UCAN India Books Online