Easter blessings from UCAN
There is no more important week in the year for Christians than this Holy Week. We call it Holy because of the mystery we celebrate - God's gift of His son who loves us to his death on Calvary and beyond.
Because of that love, we wish each other Happy Easter even when we know there is a lot of tragedy about it - Good Friday. As Christians, we know that what we see happening with and in Jesus goes to the heart of what we know from our own experience of life.
At the Second Vatican Council, the Christian lives we all lead were described as being shares in the Paschal Mystery. We have our share in the death and resurrection of Jesus every day. Our lives are part of the Paschal Mystery.
At UCAN, we work to describe that mystery in the unfolding tragedies and astonishing blessings of the people we seek out and report, feature and comment on.
While at times deeply distressing work, this effort of ours gets its coherence in the same way the death of Jesus did - because of the astonishing grace of a God who never gives up on life and love.
Because of that, we can wish you Happy Easter.
Fr. Michael Kelly SJ
Brothers work as farmers to support orphans
Would rather they spend their time looking after the young residentsBrothers working in the rice fields in Mayachaung village
- ucanews.com reporter, Pathein
- February 1, 2011
A group of brothers run St. Brunoâs Orphanage House in Mayachaung village near Pathein to give some 50 orphans a home.
âWe have some rice fields but the only challenge is insufficient funds,â said Brother Anthony, 60, who is currently managing about eight-hectares of rice fields in Kanazogone village of Pathein diocese. He said he has to borrow other peopleâs tractors to do the farming and âwhen weâre short of money, we have to borrow from people that charge high interests.â The loans are paid back with money or sometimes with the rice harvests, Brother Anthony explained.
Brother Alexis, 50, said he also encounters financial problems managing the orphanageâs âhand to mouthâ situation.
He said 70 percent of the orphanageâs expenses are covered by the farmâs produce including seasonal fruits, livestock, rice and betel leaves cultivation. The other 30 percent comes from local donations.
âOur financial difficulty is not only in running the farms but in hiring teachers to educate the orphans,â said Brother Alexis.
Brother Blaise said the Brothers spend most of their time farming and growing seasonal fruit just to keep the orphanage open. They would rather spend their time looking after, caring and teaching the young residents.
Thirteen-year-old Justin Paing Phyo said his father died when his sister was only five years old. Six months later his mother died and both of them had to live with their uncle.
After five months, his uncle couldnât afford to keep them and sent them to the Brothersâ orphanage.
âI feel very hungry during school break but had to wait until evening when we have dinner,â said Paing Phyo.
Paing Phyo currently in sixth grade said things are better for the past four years since he has been living at the orphanage.
âWe need not to worry for our living in the orphanage with the great care of the brothers,â said Bosco Win Naing, a teenage resident at the orphanage. âMy intention is to become a Brother and work for the orphanage,â he said.
The eight grader said he doesnât even how he ended up at the orphanage but was told that a nun brought him there when he was only one month old.
The congregationâs late Brother Bruno established the orphanage in 1995 with just four orphans.
The congregation founded in 1942 currently has about 100 brothers serving in the 10 dioceses in Myanmar.
NunsÂ´ Orphanage Gives Life, Hope To Poor Abandoned Children
Church Helps Cyclone Children And Orphans Deal With Their Grief