Bomb at Jakarta Catholic school sparks security alert
Blast comes days after attack on Buddhist temple
Piet Cunno (in uniform) examines the site where a petrol bomb exploded on Tuesday
August 7, 2013
Archbishop Ignatius Suharyo Hardjoatmodjo of Jakarta today called for tighter security at parishes and Church-run institutions after a petrol bomb exploded at a Catholic high school in Tebet, South Jakarta.
Security guards at St Francis of Assisi High School were alerted yesterday by a small explosion on the school grounds. An investigation turned up two broken bottles, which the guards say had contained petrol.
No injuries or damage were reported. Police are investigating the incident.
“We should tighten security at churches and Church-run institutions such as schools and hospitals to offset possible terror or violence,” the archbishop said.
He added that the need for vigilance was now more acute following a bombing at a Buddhist temple in Kebon Jeruk, West Jakarta, earlier this week.
A small bomb went off at the Ekayana Buddhist temple on Sunday, slightly injuring one person.
Security guards at the school said yesterday’s incident was puzzling since the school had never encountered any problems in the neighborhood.
"I’ve never heard of any threats in all my 18 years working at the school," said Piet Cunno, one of the guards.
“So this [blast] was certainly a first."
Initiative helps farmers reclaim abandoned crops, pool information and resources
Protest organized jointly by Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox churches
Tea estate owners want to expand their estates and develop the land
Seminary rector allegedly killed over language-based ethnic feud
Families of the disappeared hold protests demanding the government address injustices