Blaze ravages historic Camarines Norte church
ucanews.com reporter, Manila
December 26, 2012
A fire believed to have been caused by an electrical short circuit has destroyed a 400-year-old church in Camarines Norte province.
The pre-dawn blaze today gutted the San Pedro Apostol church in Vinzons town, parish priest Francisco Regala Jr said, adding that many historical artifacts were lost in the fire.
The church, which was built in 1611 by Franciscan friars, is the one of the oldest in the country.
Fr Regala said the fire, which began at about 1 a.m. in the convent library, quickly spread to other parts of the church.
Firefighters finally put out the blaze at about 5:30 a.m.
Calcutta archbishop remembers her life as one of sacrifice and love, strengthened by her faith
Mother of five accused of blasphemy could have her death sentence overturned in October
Indonesisn dry season wild fires have combined with poor environmental policies to create a major problem
Controversial plan to revamp Colombo port will destroy the environment and people’s homes and livelihoods
Seminaries in China are receiving a tough review but there is something more sinister at work