Blaze ravages historic Camarines Norte church
ucanews.com reporter, Manila
December 26, 2012
A fire believed to have been caused by an electrical short circuit has destroyed a 400-year-old church in Camarines Norte province.
The pre-dawn blaze today gutted the San Pedro Apostol church in Vinzons town, parish priest Francisco Regala Jr said, adding that many historical artifacts were lost in the fire.
The church, which was built in 1611 by Franciscan friars, is the one of the oldest in the country.
Fr Regala said the fire, which began at about 1 a.m. in the convent library, quickly spread to other parts of the church.
Firefighters finally put out the blaze at about 5:30 a.m.
Helping Southeast Asia families generate income and reduce dependency on donors
They want an assurance that people in the hills will not be adversely affected by conservation plans
Move will derestrict country's jade industry, which is a 'treasure chest' for the military
Toxic waste from a Taiwanese-built steel plant in Ha Tinh province poisoned water along a 200 kilometer stretch of coastline
Caritas India is working to find ways to protect the rights of children in South Asia