Blaze ravages historic Camarines Norte church
ucanews.com reporter, Manila
December 26, 2012
A fire believed to have been caused by an electrical short circuit has destroyed a 400-year-old church in Camarines Norte province.
The pre-dawn blaze today gutted the San Pedro Apostol church in Vinzons town, parish priest Francisco Regala Jr said, adding that many historical artifacts were lost in the fire.
The church, which was built in 1611 by Franciscan friars, is the one of the oldest in the country.
Fr Regala said the fire, which began at about 1 a.m. in the convent library, quickly spread to other parts of the church.
Firefighters finally put out the blaze at about 5:30 a.m.
'It might sound unusual to talk about caste as being part of the church but it is the truth of our context'
Chinese security agency created to oversee the persecution of Falun Gong group is among those to be inspected
Filipinos mark 150 years since Redemptorist priests became custodians of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour icon
Myanmar's new term 'Muslims in Rakhine State' is debated and seen as controversial
State government rejects call for prohibition saying consumption is a 'matter of choice'