Anger over seven-year-old Christian boy's death
Father claims a cover-up and murder by Hindu fundamentalists
Anmol Gemethi, who died in mysterious circumstances. Picture courtesy Morning Star News
- Ritu Sharma, New Delhi
- December 6, 2013
The father of a dead Christian boy in Rajasthan, northern India, is demanding a second postmortem on his son’s body, claiming that he was brutally murdered by Hindu fundamentalists and that police and doctors are conspiring to shield his killers.
An initial postmortem following the death of seven-year-old Anmol Gemethi last month ruled that he had drowned. His father, Harish Gemethi, believes otherwise.
“Doctors spoiled the first postmortem by saying that the death happened due to drowning and the police are going by the report,” he said. “It is the handiwork of Hindu fundamentalists. They had earlier also threatened us not to come to the village because of our faith.”
Anmol’s body was found floating in a river in Tardiobri village in the district on November 19, two days after he went missing.
According to Gemethi, the child's face was mutilated beyond recognition. There were burn marks on his stomach, his toes were chopped off and one hand and leg were deeply slashed.
He claims the police have refused to take any action. Police said however that there was no communal angle to the incident and that it was an open and shut case of drowning.
Police also confirmed to ucanews.com that they received a fresh complaint on Wednesday demanding another postmortem.
A Christian NGO, the Catholic Secular Forum (CSF), has sent a memorandum to the president of India, the prime minister, the governor of Rajasthan and other political leaders to ensure justice in the case.
“An appeal was made to the conscience of those concerned to direct corrective and punitive measures immediately. Only a proper investigation and the severest punishment for the killers will serve as a deterrent,” Joseph Dias, CSF head, told ucanews.com.